The wife and I decided to do something different this weekend. We tried our hand at baking (cue ominous music). We both love bread pudding so we tried that. We downloaded the recipe and and went shopping for the ingredients on Saturday.
- 2 cups whole milk (or 2 cups half & half)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar (light or dark, depending on taste preference)
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups bread, torn into small pieces (french bread works best)
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- 3 teaspoon rum
Everything seemed to be going well. I took a peek into the oven and my oh my it smelt good. Parfait! (Perfect!)
We felt confident and proud. Our confidence boosted us to try sauce. This should be even easier than the pudding. Right?
Bread Pudding Sauce
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup granulated white sugar (light brown sugar can be substituted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- dash of salt
- 3 teaspoon rum
- 1 egg (don’t quite remember where we saw that but we added it :))
I was assigned the task of slow stirring the sauce mixture over medium heat. I paused for a sec to admire the bread pudding again, then the wife yelled “babes shouldn’t you be stirring?”. I started again and it looked fine. Or so I thought!
When I removed it from the pot, that’s what we saw. I said “babes it might still be OK. Try it”. She said….
LOL. At least one thing turned out good. We’ll get that sauce next time 🙂
NEXT – DINNER
We decided to prepare Steamed Fish with a vegetable side dish and Stew Chicken with plain rice and mashed potatoes mixed with sweet corn. We didn’t have any problems with those dishes, so without further ado …
Which Dish looks better? If you say The Queens, then we are no longer friends. No pressure or bias 🙂